Monday, June 1, 2015

In which the Cheshire Cat bag becomes a wall hanging

Last night and this morning I spent some time working on what was intended to be a Cheshire cat bag. What I should have realized much sooner was that 30" by 26" would end up being a rather large bag. This image shows the bottom row minus about 5 inches. I have been sewing this by breaking the design into 5x5 or in one column, 4x5 block sections.

Since I didn't start with quite enough squares I have been sewing chunks until I run out of the color squares that I need then I simply keep going but by working on the sections around it. This is actually a fairly quick sew.

I'll tell you all a little secret of how I can piece things together so quickly: I rarely press my pieces as I sew. What I do instead is start with unwashed fabric (its a bit stiffer this way) and finger press as I go. I press the seams to the side that I need them and run my nail over the top to get the fold over to stay. This does not distort the seams the way the iron can and it is much faster and this keeps me sewing instead of ironing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment